Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

5 de Mayo: herb and wine pairings

Feliz Cinco de Mayo

Painted walls in Bernal


I love to celebrate the food and drink of Mexico. Winemakers love any excuse to drink beer and a margarita. It's true that it takes a lot of beer to make great wine (that was actually a fill in test question for my degree at UC Davis- can you believe it?). When I blend flavors for Cinco de Mayo, I choose culinary herbs cilantro and oregano. Just add a dash of cumin, chili powder, garlic, and lime. Ole!

While I love a cold beer, I love pairing wine with unexpected flavors of Mexican food, especially after my recent trip to Mexican wine country.

I top all Mexican food with cilantro. The flavor is so fresh and delicious. I like to pair cilantro with Grenache. The flavors interact really well and Grenache is a delicious pairing with carnitas and fish tacos.



Oregano adds depth to simple earthy flavors in black beans, rice, and enchilada sauce. Fresh or dried oregano is delicious on roasted corn too for a South of the Border taste. I like Oregano with juicy and ripe wines. I usually pick a Zinfandel to pair. It's a playful wine perfect for a celebration. It also makes a great sangria base.


Enjoy your cinco de Mayo festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment