Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Fresh picked pairings: Pickled radishes for a picnic



The past few weeks I have been picking up radishes at South Fork Farm. I never liked radishes much until I had them fresh from the garden. The store bought ones don't have much flavor.  My husband loves radishes too. When they are fresh from the ground, I just eat them, but pickling combines flavors that are perfect for a picnic with wine.


Quick Pickled Radishes


Ingredients:

1 cup finely sliced radishes 
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 t sea salt

1 bay leaf
1 T pink peppercorns

Instructions:

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a resealable container. I like Weck jars. You can find them online or at William-Sonoma.

Add the salt and stir.

Add the radishes.

Tear bay leaf into the jar and add pink peppercorns.

Seal the jar and shake to mix thoroughly. 

Place in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours.

They will last for 1 week in your refrigerator.



Pairing notes: I enjoy these as a fun addition to the picnic table. The spicy radish, bay leaf, and pink peppercorn work together to add depth that is complemented by Rosé. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment