Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Creatively speaking

A natural lover of living subjects and apprentice of many trades- my occupation is winemaker and my inspiration comes from an array of disciplines. I am currently working on some label art which has led me to explore textures and textiles, food and photography, and illustrations. Here at my workshop, I have multiple mediums available to create and experiment...and I might have a glass of wine too.

The rain is abundant today and I love to sit next to the window with the drips dripping to an irregular, but constant beat. Perfect rhythm for humming along on a project.

My herb gardens are getting some spring rains and many of my seeds have emerged.

Fueling the creative fire, it's time to get cozy. Tonight I'm cooking something fresh with the seasons ingredients. I'm experimenting with the flavors of thyme growing in my edible flower pots. I need a delicious structured and dry Zinfandel to match the flavors of the herbs. My family is going to LOVE this meal after a busy week back at school, work, and play.

Thyme has aromas of lemon, licorice, and flowers. Sounds delicious with a wine full of berries, licorice, pepper and violets.


Friday night dinner

fresh lemony asparagus with sea salt 
potato stacks with thyme
turkey and grain burgers with herbs
saffron yogurt dip
spring greens and tellicherry pepper dressing 
Zinfandel


My grandparents descended from Yugoslavia, where Zinfandel was grown most prolifically in the Mediterranean.  Here in the Sierra Foothills, Zinfandel is one of the regions most historic and acclaimed grapes. A sun loving berry that develops beautiful complex flavors during the growing season and delicious with herbs like Thyme and Oregano.




No comments:

Post a Comment