Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Fresh picked pairings: Grilled vegetarian nut burger

I have been craving a nut burger that would be delicious with wines for summer grilling season. Making my own, means that I can add herbs and spices to pair with the wines I love. Thankfully, my family bought me a Cuisinart food processor for Mother's day (I know, how did I survive without one?) and soon a nut burger was created.


Veggie Nut Burger



Additions:

1 shallot
1 C raw veggies (I like carrots, beets, olives, or mushrooms)
1/2 C cashews
1/2 C  sunflower seeds
1 C raw oats
1 t chili powder
pinch of fresh oregano
pinch of fresh thyme
1 egg
2 T tahini

Protocol:

Chop shallot and veggies in food processor
Add cashews, sunflower seeds, raw oats, chili powder, oregano, thyme, and pulse until chopped fine.
Add egg and tahini and mix until dough like consistency forms.
Form burger on wax paper, it should be sticky to the touch.
Grill right away or refrigerate for up to 5 days. Serve with Saffron Yogurt Sauce.

Saffron Yogurt Sauce

Additions:

pinch of saffron
1 C plain greek yogurt
salt to taste

Protocol:

Add 1 T boiling water to a pinch of saffron. Allow to steep for 5 minutes. When cool, add to 1 C yogurt and mix. Add salt to taste.


Notes:

I like to grill these burgers and top with fresh arugula. Instead of a bun, I use the focaccia from South Fork Farm where they grow organic grains for their wood fired breads.  The Mediterranean flavors are excellent with Zinfandel, Syrah. 





No comments:

Post a Comment