Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Easter Menu

Of course, I start with my favorite springtime wines to set the stage for our Easter holiday meal. I like to base the menu around what's in season and delicious springtime wines. Let's see... there's sparkling wine for sipping during the egg hunt, Rose for transition from lawn bowling into the main course, and Mourvedre-Grenache blends for the leg of lamb. My favorite! Springtime is so fresh and full of delicious flavors. I love using the fresh herbs of the season to bring out the most in the wines.


Easter at The Winemaker's Table


Fruit kabobs

Deviled eggs with smoked paprika

Prosciutto wrapped lemon asparagus

Roasted red potatoes with crushed pink peppercorns

Arugula salad with a farewell to citrus blood orange, avocado, and sunflower seeds

Boneless leg of lamb stuffed with herb paste served with mint pesto

Carrot cupcakes

Kid deco sugar cookies

and a touch of chocolate for the Easter Bunny!




Mint Pesto Recipe

Inspired by my love for mint with GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) and the desperate need to replace the kiwi tradition of mint jelly with something more savory, I set out to create this pesto that I had in a local restaurant. While mint never ceases to be plentiful, it's also a fresh take on summer's endless basil pesto.

Use a processor or muddle this mix yourself using a mortar and pestle. You can create a chunky pesto that's perfect on the lamb.


1 clove garlic, minced
3 C loose mint leaves
1/2 C pine nuts
1/2 C parmesan cheese
EVOO to desired consistency
1 T Dijon mustard
Sea salt to taste
pinch of fresh cracked pepper

Muddle the pine nuts, mint leaves, and garlic. Then add remaining ingredients. Make fresh or refrigerate for 2 hours or all day and serve a dollop on top of the lamb.

Having Ham? I love a full bodied white like Roussanne or Viognier. The saltiness of the ham is also delicious with Mourvedre. I guess I just love Rhone wines with holiday meals. They really unfold over a long meal and are so rewarding after a long day of preparations.



3 comments:

  1. The Easter meal sounds delish! Can't wait to try out the mint pesto recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you all had a delicious Easter meal!

    ReplyDelete