Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Upcycling eggshells

Upcycling eggshells for seedlings


With just under 5 weeks to Mother's Day (my garden green light indicator) I am starting herbs from seed. We have lots of eggs from our chickens and I saw this cute idea for planting seedlings on pinterest. Save your egg shells and poke a tiny hole in the bottom for drainage. Use a teaspoon to fill the eggshells with soil and plant the seeds. These can grow in your window until the threat of frost has passed. My husband often does the planting in the garden as a preface to strategically installing the irrigation system. I love him for it! He likes these tiny eggshell seedlings because you just drop in the garden. The delicate seedlings can be difficult to transplant to the garden while wearing big garden gloves. Instead, the eggshells will compost in your garden and make planting easy!

Keep an empty egg carton in your kitchen with your seeds and a ceramic container of soil. As you use your eggs, you can continue more seeds to keep your herb garden abundant all spring. I like to use a spray bottle to keep the seedlings moist and induce germination.

I have lots of cilantro, basil, and chives that are beginning to sprout. I had to plant some nasturtiums too! They are so beautiful and aromatic in salads.

Once my seeds are planted, I'm going to grab a glass of cold Grenache Blanc. Feels like Spring!







No comments:

Post a Comment