Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Weeknight delight

An evergreen, Rosemary
is an herb for all seasons.
Rosemary and coffee salt crusted filet mignon

Petit filet mignon
2 T ground coffee
3 t  chopped rosemary
1 t salt
1 t pepper
 pinch of paprika

For the filet mignon, rub with a touch of paprika, then layer the coffee, rosemary, pepper and salt.

Broil in 400 degree oven for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until medium rare. Serve immediately while hot.

Winemaker's notes:

I chose filet cut for this because it's so tender and succulent. The flavor is beautiful and doesn't command much tannin in the wine being paired to cut the fat. A filet mignon complements elegant wine styles and wines with a bit of age. I paired this with my library reserve Confluence Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon made in 2003. The wine is a unique expression of Sierra Foothill fruit at 3,300 feet elevation. The layers in this wine with the bright aromatics are very unusual and exiting! This dish was inspired by the paprika notes in the wine, indicating perfect ripeness of the grapes at harvest.

I love blending flavors in the kitchen, just like wines. When I'm blending wines, I look for each of the components to bring an authentic expression to the blend. I want the wine to be enjoyed at the table for hours as aromatics change and evolve.



 More on layering aromas:

A fragrance manufacturer, Jo Malone, has a line of  natural fragrances inspired to layer and create your own unique signature scent. I layer wild fig and cassis with pomegranate to get a perfect balance of spice, earthiness, and fruit. I think of this fragrance blend as 'Mourvedre' because it reminds me of Mourvedre vines at harvest time. I feel great when I wear it, like being in the vineyard-my favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment