Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Minty fresh

Hand harvested mint from the garden


Happy Spring!


Fresh herbs are a sign of spring and mint is easy to come by in many gardens. It grows like a weed, so it needs to be planted in a container- perfect for small and large herb gardens alike. There are many types of mint, each with a unique flavor. I like to use peppermint, bergamot, and lemon balm. I find spearmint to be a bit overpowering with wine. 

3 ways to use more mint #inspired by wine

I've been adding mint to classic spring mix, topped with my herbed goat cheese medallions and a simple balsamic dressing.  For this, I love a beautiful clean Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir from very cool climates often has a menthol characteristic and is complemented by the touch of mint in the salad.

I also enjoy using mint in place of basil for pesto.  I add a touch of dijon mustard to the mint pesto for a perfect accompaniment to lamb. For mint and lamb pairings, I like a Grenache based Rhone blend. Grenache comes alive with the bright mint flavors.

When I use lemon balm on fresh fish steamed on the grill, I enjoy a Roussanne or Roussanne blend. The lemon balm character in the wine is accentuated in this pairing. Add a squeeze of lemon and season with salt and pepper.

Plant some mint in your wine garden and experiment. You'll love it in water or tea for spring days.

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment