Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

My recipe for a spring kitchen makeover



As an eternal optimist, I love the newness the season brings. There's a reason we quicken activity and begin to clean up. The excitement never ceases in springtime-moody weather and lots of color popping in the landscape.

Through my journey as a winemaker diving into communications, I've come to appreciate and love a neutral landscape to really SEE the beautiful things in life. First, photography put this perspective in focus. The simple concept that white plates make food look awesome was new to me. Well, if white plates make food look awesome, does white bring texture and life to other things? I started to notice that without the distraction of colors, I could focus on the subjects that gave me inspiration and joy. I was starting to rethink some of my surroundings at home when a friend suggested incorporating color pops from a neutral southwestern palette. With a love for the desert landscape filled with wildflowers-coupled by just having read Marie Kondo's book-I decided to neutralize my home interior and let let the colors of life do the popping. With two little boys and a firefighter husband, there is never a dull moment around here and if you're distracted by anything you can miss some of the best ones.

I caught the bug and I knew I had to seize the moment, but where to start? Here I develop a recipe to give your kitchen and dining space a spring makeover.





So much of what inspires me are the natural elements.

This is the color palette that I developed from some 
objects that I've collected over the years.
I use Benjamin Moore paints. From top to bottom Lingerie, Cocoa, Head over Heels, Smoke Embers, and Sparkling Wine.






I found this piece of granite on one of our whitewater adventures.  I love the natural color palette that mimics the wood cabinets in my kitchen.








I began in my kitchen, which is actually my other office and had been deep red. I had always loved a red kitchen-perhaps what really inspired me to cook and create recipes. 

With a simple coat of paint the whole kitchen is feeling a little more industrial, tranquil, and full of good vibes.

Now I can really SEE my boys blue and brown eyes at the breakfast bar each morning. Their eyes just pop out at me now in the neutral gray backdrop. A thrill that truly never fades.


.






Spring break in the desert inspired me to make this collage of natural color pops. Throughout the process of changing up my home space, I'll be looking for ways to incorporate some of these colors by using vases, throws, pillows, rugs, and other unique functional pieces.






Continuing on my Marie Kondo simplicity buzz, I decided to take the paint roller right over a mural that had NOT been sparking joy. The mural was part of our home that we purchased just over 5 years ago and I decided to live with it for while until I thought of a better idea. Amidst the mood of change, I surrendered to the spirit of spring cleaning and minimalism-anything that doesn't spark joy must go. Anyone that has read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up will tell you that is in fact life changing.

I chose a pale pink to put in the dining room which is actually a great room. To me, pink is a color that evokes intimacy, beauty, and calm.  I'm hoping to foster intimacy in a spacious open environment to allow the food, wine, and conversation take the stage.

Recipe for spring makeover in your kitchen

1. Find a few items that inspire you and have visual appeal
2. Make a color palette that mimics those objects
3. Choose colors that bring desired emotion into your space
4. Sort the kitchen tools that you enjoy using and keep them in a space where you can access them easily or display them on the counter top.
5. Start creating delicious and beautiful food and wine at your table.





This is the before photo of the mural. I'll post the final look as I finish it up. 

I hope you will find ways to give your kitchen a spring makeover that inspires you to tackle the farmers market and source your favorite wines to enjoy the bounty summer will bring to your table.


Cheers!

Mari








1 comment:

  1. I love the look of your kitchen. It does really brighten it up and give it a whole new look! :)

    ReplyDelete