Mari Wells Coyle

Mari Wells Coyle
Mari Wells Coyle, Winemaker l photo by Freda Banks photography

Winter


 Our girls are busy composting for our spring vegetable and herb gardens.  I'm looking forward to planting our garden later this winter and early in spring. For now, I've been using the sage and rosemary that does quite well outside my kitchen door. It holds up in winter, blooms beautifully in the spring, and the deer don't eat it! In winter, many of my dishes are flavored with these herbs. I love the bold flavors that they add to winter vegetables and hearty roasts. Both Sage and Rosemary have warm characteristics that pair well with red wines and a cozy fire. You can find these herbs in seed form or buy a small plant to get started (I recommend the latter). Winter can be a great time to get these herbs going while there is water for their root development in preparation for the summer heat. Sounds like a good weekend project to me! Once you have your herbs, I will be posting some recipes to get you warmed up this winter. I've got to get back to tasting wines this afternoon.  Ciao



No comments:

Post a Comment